We are the people you see out there running or riding in the rain, in the snow and even in the sun – training, racing, and having a great time doing it. We love all things Swim, Bike and Run and we are here to help you find the right gear, right race or right advice.
The staff is all about the Tri and we all have a ton of experience in everything from a local sprint tri to the big daddy…the IronMan. That means we know what gear works and the best way to tune that gear to get the most out of it.
Stop in and say hi and let us know what you are up to. We love talking about races and gear. Newbie or elite racer, we want to talk to you and help you reach your goals.
Six Questions For Todd Olson, Owner – Urban Tri
1. What was your inspiration to start Urban Tri? Two days before Ironman Wisconsin 2010 I found out I had a crack in my bike frame. I reached out to the tri community and was overwhelmed by their generosity and willingness to help. After such a positive experience I wanted to provide a place where triathletes could connect with each other get information on races, training, coaching and injury treatment and conveniently find popular brands that were difficult to find in meaningful quantities in the area.
2. How did you pick the location for your shop? It was one of the many serendipitous events as I was pulling my plan together. I was driving between two potential locations and just happened to see this space was vacant. It had everything I wanted for my store. It’s incredibly convenient, within blocks of major bike paths, on a well-traveled street, at a well-known intersection with easy access from the highway. Most importantly, it’s in a physically active, community oriented urban neighborhood. It’s absolutely the perfect location.
3. When you arrive each day at the store, what’s the first thing you think of? I need another cup of coffee.
4. When you think about your shop, what are you most proud of? I’m proud of the fact that I pulled this whole crazy adventure together in nine months and that I already have loyal repeat customers who many times just come to hang out. It’s the kind of atmosphere I wanted to foster and it’s a reality.
5. Give us a virtual tour of your store. What are the brands and services we’d find at Urban Tri? We carry those brands that I really like, but had a hard finding a good selection – in a convenient location. Our core brands are TYR, K-Swiss and Zoot for apparel, Scott, Argon 18 and Blue Competition Cycles for bikes and Hammer, GU and Clif for nutrition. We have a full service bike shop on the lower level where we do bike builds, repairs and custom fittings. We can also put you in touch with a great selection of coaches, trainers and experts in all aspects of the sport.
6. You’re an avid triathlete, what’s your favorite piece of advice for fellow triathletes? Keep it simple and have fun. It’s about the experience, camaraderie and having a fun time outside.